Monday, April 1, 2013

Doughnut Plant: Bigger and Better

It's food week here at Pay a Visit! Today: breakfast. Wednesday: The main course. Friday: Dessert. Now let's start eating.

Calling today's topic "breakfast" may be a misnomer. That's because the doughnuts at the Doughnut Plant are just as much a dessert as anything you'd eat with your morning coffee. But it doesn't matter when you eat them as long as you do.

Paul and I went to the original Doughnut Factory on the Lower East Side in 2010, and I had a delicious blackout chocolate cake doughnut. Since then, a second outpost opened in the Chelsea Hotel, and I was eager to try it. A visit to New York by my friend Sarah gave me the perfect opportunity.

The Chelsea location is much better than the Lower East Side one; not only is it more convenient to the subway lines I use the most, but it actually has seating. Sarah and I didn't get seats under the doughnut-shaped wall hangings, but we did snag a pair of bar stools along the wall.


For doughnuts, the offerings are expensive: around $3 apiece. Another reason to think of them as dessert: they're cheap compared to a good bake shop's slices of cake or pie. That way I can justify buying two doughnuts.

This time I tried the rich Valrhona chocolate yeast doughnut, and a tres leches cake doughnut with a ribbon of cream in the middle.


Also consider the cost of your doughnut(s) as admission to the fancy disco-style bathroom with little mirrors covering the entire space. I'm kind of glad I didn't have to actually use it, but I would have liked to see more than just the peak I sneaked when someone else had to use the restroom. Next time. And maybe a separate post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...