Monday, March 11, 2013

My Return to the World

Our brunch party wasn't the only reason I was excited a few weekends ago. I was also thrilled to be getting out of the apartment.

That's because my friend and college roommate Sarah traveled from Philadelphia that Saturday to attend the brunch the following day. That left Saturday evening wide open, and I was ready to go!

Paul was left with Edith, a bottle of breast milk and a pact that he would have her bathed, fed and in bed by the time I returned. It was dark, cold and windy when Sarah and I left, but I hardly felt it. I was free!

Don't get me wrong. Of course I love my daughter. But staying home all of the time is stifling, especially when the weather isn't conducive to taking an infant for a stroller ride. And while I'm happy to be breastfeeding, it does mean that leaving the house sans baby takes some planning. But that's a whole other story. Suffice it to say that I had never been so glad to see the subway.

Sarah readily agreed to my suggestions: Dinner in Gramercy at East Japanese for conveyor-belt sushi, followed by dessert at the Doughnut Plant in Chelsea (look for a blog post on this soon!). While the food was good, the highlight was certainly catching up with Sarah and having a conversation that didn't include the word "poopy." Score!

While I'm anxious for the weather to warm up so I can explore with Edith, I also know that it's important for me to get out and about without a baby in tow. Luckily Paul understands that, too. And, by the way, Edith really was bathed, fed and in bed by the time Sarah and I returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...