Friday, April 5, 2013

Pecan Pie if You're Allergic to Nuts

Because Paul is allergic to nuts, we're careful to look at ingredients before we buy foods and Paul is accustomed to staying away from strange desserts. Yes, he's allergic enough that a single nut could kill him if the reaction isn't caught right away, but he doesn't care if I have my own personal jar of Nutella in the cupboard.

Lately, however, I've had a hankering for pecan pie. Don't know why; I like pecan pie, but it's never been my favorite. I could've just ordered a slice at a restaurant, but why take the easy way out? And when I found a recipe for faux pecan pie I got the best of both worlds: a chance to satisfy my craving and a way for Paul to get a hint of a taste of a classic nut-based dessert.

The recipe I used substituted broken bits of pretzels for pecans. The result wasn't exact. It looked surprisingly similar, and the pretzel bits covered in butter and sugar did have a candied nut flavor. The only thing that was a bit off was the texture -- the pretzels were somewhat crunchier than I remember the pecans being after the pie was baked. Still, it was a pretty close replica.


But the pie was nearly ruined by a new pie crust recipe. I hate rolling out dough, and I had a recipe for a crust that you stir up and then press into a pie plate, much like you make graham cracker crust. Easy as, um, pie.

It tasted awful. I think that's because the recipe called for using oil instead of shortening or butter, and the oil taste was overwhelming. I'd like to substitute the oil, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try it again. Rest assured, however, the faux pecan pie tasted almost as good with the crust sliced away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...