Friday, June 5, 2009

Pharmacies: What They're Really For

Ohio is the one-stop shopper's dream.

I wistfully remember the days when I could buy tofu, toilet paper and socks all at the same store. Want a rake with your round steak? A casserole dish with your computer desk? One visit to Meijer or Kroger and it was all taken care of.

Not so in New York. The grocery stores here are so small they barely hold basic staples. Everyday, medicine-cabinet items like shaving cream are literally behind lock and key if they stock them at all.

In Ohio I visited a pharmacy maybe every other month when it had good deals on batteries, leftover holiday candy or some other equally random item. Now I'm a regular at Rite-Aid or Duane Reade for basics like paper towels, deodorant and toothpaste.

I had to move 500 miles to learn that drug stores were not merely for discounted chocolate. Who knew?

2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to this! It would be so nice to have a "one stop shop" place here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny. I always liked being able to buy beer, etc. in grocery stores in Ohio. You can't do that in PA or Maryland!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...