Thursday, June 11, 2009

Korean Food: Checked Off the List

I'm slowly but surely making my way around the globe via New York City's ethnic restaurants.

The latest stop: Woorijip. It's a small eatery in Manhattan's Koreatown that's been written up in several blogs for it's yummy food and reasonable prices. Woorijip has some pre-packaged fare, but I wanted to sample the $6.50/pound buffet of hot and cold Korean comfort food.

My plate:


Everything was labeled on the buffet, but now I have no idea what most of the stuff even was. I really liked the crabmeat pancake and the tofu that was either grilled or baked in some kind of soy sauce mixture. My favorite, however, was that long stick in the bottom right corner (on top of the egg thingy)-- clear noodles wrapped in what I've since learned was seaweed, and fried. Mildly sweet and very tasty. I also stole some of Paul's riceball in fried beancurd, which was surprisingly dessert-like.

Woorijip was small but comfortable, and packed with what seemed to be young Koreans in their 20s and 30s when we got there about 9 p.m. As you can see from the Styrofoam plate, it's not high class. But it's cheap and tasty, which is imminently more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...