Monday, March 14, 2011

Why Yesterday Was One of My Favorite Days

Yesterday was one of my favorite days of the year.

Better then the first day of spring. Maybe even better than the first day of summer. Almost definitely better than my 30th birthday will be in a few months.

The occasion? Daylight Saving Time began.

The sun is up year round by the time I wake up, a consequence of living on the eastern edge of the time zone as well as the late hour of my alarm -- 8 a.m.

The evening, however, is another story. Even if I leave work on time at 6 p.m., the sky is nearly always pitch black all winter long. A couple of weeks ago I left work about a quarter after 6 and saw just a glimmer of light reflecting against a skyscraper, set against a deep, deep blue sky. I was excited, but of course it had long since disappeared by the time I exited the subway in Bay Ridge nearly an hour later.

Of course, there is one downside to Daylight Saving Time: one less hour of sleep. But the many more hours of sunlight I'll now be enjoying will more than make up for one evening of heavy eyelids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...