Monday, March 28, 2011

My Latest Ride on the Staten Island Ferry


The Staten Island Ferry is the not-so-secret way to get the best views of the Statue of Liberty for free. Paul and I took yet another trip across Upper New York Bay this past weekend when his mom and our 10-year-old nephew, Conrad, paid us a visit for a few days.

I've lost count of the number of times I've ridden the ferry, but I don't really mind. It's relaxing and a nice rest from the constant walking the remainder of New York City invites. Besides, the views really are pretty spectacular.

As I've said before, I also enjoy seeing New York from a visitor's perspective, and Conrad is the youngest visitor we've had. He's a great nephew -- polite, smart and funny to boot -- so I was especially eager to hear his take on the city. The adventure started the first night, when he was surprised (1) that we were crossing the street when the sign said don't walk and (2) we had to park our car three blocks away from our apartment. Welcome to New York.

The views of the Statue of Liberty, however, didn't disappoint. I, on the other hand, pointed my camera off the other side of the boat, toward Brooklyn and the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...