Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Odds and Ends from Northwest Ohio


And now for all of the photos from my week in Ohio that didn't fit anywhere else ...

One of my favorite things in all of Defiance is the first thing I see entering the county when we drive from Columbus: two large Ohio murals.

The murals were painted on at least one barn in every county for the state's bicentennial in 2003. Defiance is unique because it has two on a single barn.

I've driven by them innumerable times now, but this time Paul pulled over the car so I could get a few shots from the passenger's window. Whenever I see them, I always know I'm home.


A lot less scenic but a lot more funny is a new store at Defiance's Northtowne Mall. Most of the stores are your typically fare-- Penney's, Sears, Elder Beerman. But I don't remember seeing this one before.


Unfortunately, you can't see the line under the store's name. I'll help you out:

Jewelry - Bamboo - Purses - Swords

Exactly when will you be shopping for a new handbag and remember that you also need to pick up a deadly weapon? And when's the last time you were looking for a necklace when you suddenly remembered you also needed to restock your bamboo supply?

I'm fairly certain that doesn't happen. Least of all in Defiance, Ohio.

Something else that's funny about Defiance? It's ugly courthouse. Luckily, neighboring Williams County has a beautiful one that's all dressed up with nowhere to go (but Bryan, Ohio) at Christmastime. Even better, Bryan has a movie theater across the street with something like $3 matinees (buy-one-get-one-free on Tuesdays!). That's how I saw Avatar for $1.50 and the pretty lights in a single trip.

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't seen the new store in the mall. Interesting combination.

    We visited the Williams County Courthouse and we drive by that barn at least once a month.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...