Saturday, January 30, 2010

Cupcake Wars: Buttercup Bake Shop


I took advantage of my night in Midtown by checking out and checking off yet another on the long list of New York City's cupcakeries.

Buttercup Bake Shop, on 2nd Avenue between 51st and 52nd streets, is the ninth that I've tried that I can think of off hand. I suspect I've sampled more.

My overall impression: Buttercup is a great place for a dependable, no-fuss cupcake. And at $2 apiece, it's a pretty good deal. But I won't be going out of my way to try them again.

The options were pretty standard: vanilla on vanilla, chocolate on chocolate, etc. But one cupcake caught my eye. The Devil Dog had meringue frosting on a chocolate cake. It was tooth-achingly sweet, and that's not a complaint.


My other choice: German chocolate. Nothing special, but perfectly adequate.


The final word: Butter Lane still sells my favorite cupcakes, and Bay Ridge's very own Little Cupcake still has the best cake. But if you find yourself seeking a dessert to take back to your hotel room to eat while watching an Ace of Cakes marathon, Buttercup Bake Shop's will do just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...