Tuesday, May 13, 2008

My Sister: Married!!

Five days and at least as many slices of wedding cake later, I'm back in New York.

My only sister is married.

I was there for her final dress fitting Thursday. Paul and I helped decorate the reception hall Friday. And of course Saturday was the big day.

If the ceremony was a blur for me, I can only imagine what it was like for Katie and Jay. Before I knew it, Dad was walking Katie down the aisle. It seemed only a second later that she made the return trip with her new husband.

About 200 people attended the reception-- both the bride and groom have large extended families. I saw each of my aunts and uncles on both sides of the family (Mom has four siblings; Dad, two) and at least a dozen cousins and second cousins-- some of whom I see only once a year, if that often. With the exception of my own wedding, I'm not sure I've ever been in a room where I've known so many people.

I snuck in a few dances with Paul and thrilled at least one of my young cousins by twirling him around and 'round for an entire song. My legs ached the next day.

Of course, Katie was beautiful and happy. And although the wedding was obviously the highlight of the weekend, I have good memories of Thursday night, when Mom and Dad treated Katie, Jay, Paul and I to supper at Friendly's. We all seemed to be one big, happy family-- although I'm sure the ice cream didn't hurt.

I have a lot more to write about the weekend, but it will be saved for a later day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...