Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Two Days in Savannah, Ga.


Don't ask me why I had my heart set on a visit to Savannah, Ga. I really can't explain it. I think it was just that the photos of this oh-so-Southern city captured my imagination. And truth be told, the Spanish moss lazily hanging high from the trees are just as spooky as those photos I'd seen made them seem.

I did very little planning for our entire trip, and even less for our two days in Savannah than the following three days in Charleston, S.C. But I did read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil," so that prepared me for the 20-some squares and the stately homes that surround them. (Great non-fiction, by the way, whether or not you're planning a trip to Georgia.)

Mercer House, featured in "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil"


With between few and no items on our to-do list, we basically did two things: walk and eat. We strolled through the squares and walked along the riverfront, stopping in whatever stores caught our (read: my) fancy. We meandered through Bonaventure Cemetery one morning. We ate barbecue each night.

One of the many squares

Bonaventure Cemetery



Spanish moss in the cemetery

If we weren't walking or eating, we were probably doing one of two other things: riding the free ferry along the Savannah River or pushing Edith on a swing in what seemed to be the historic area's largest park.






Sound boring? Maybe it was. Or maybe I'm confusing boring with relaxing. Either way, with the events of the last year, it was just what we needed.




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...