Friday, November 1, 2013

Halloween: Columbus vs. New York

I am indifferent to Halloween. My love of candy balances out my active dislike of dressing up in costumes, putting me in a decidedly middle ground.

That doesn't mean I'll deprive Edith ... when the time comes. Luckily, she won't remember her first Halloween. I had no decorations, no pumpkins, no nothing except for a Halloween outfit (not a costume) that she got as a gift when she was born. But we did hand out chocolate to the trick-or-treaters.

At our apartment in New York, we got no costumed kids. The building was locked, and it seems that most kids in our old neighborhood go trick-or-treating at the businesses along a couple of the main avenues.

Here in Clintonville, we got about 30 visitors last night. I think we would have gotten more, but the weather was quite rainy. In fact, the hours to go door-to-door were altered: instead of 6 to 8 p.m., it was announced yesterday that trick-or-treating would be from 5:30 to 7 p.m. because of the impending bad weather. Luckily, all we got was rain and nothing worse.

I was prepared with some 120 miniature candy bars, so I have some leftovers. But there are worse things in life than leftover chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...