Friday, May 24, 2013

My First Vegan Dessert


I tried my first vegan cookie.

To make a short story long:

Our local library branch has story time every Wednesday morning, and more often than not I meet up there with a group of Bay Ridge moms and their babies. Afterward we sometimes grab a bite to eat. So it's 30 minutes of songs and stories for the kiddies, followed by an hour of socializing for the mamas. Seems fair to me.

A few weeks ago, we took over Little Cupcake, my very favorite bakery in Bay Ridge. But what to get? I'd prefer a piece of cake of course, but my stomach would regret it. The frosting is delectably rich, and I almost always split a piece with Paul. Ironically, I'm not a huge fan of the cupcakes. I saw a row of vegan cookies and was intrigued. I'd long meant to try a vegan dessert, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity.

So?

Eh.

I tried a vegan double chocolate cookie. I figured you can't go wrong with chocolate, even if it is the vegan kind. And for the most part I was right. It was perfectly sweet, but rather dry. It was OK. Nothing special.

Today's lessons: (1) If you're getting a dessert and you're not vegan, go for the fattiest, butteriest cookie available. (2) I like butter way too much. This came home to me last week when I made a chocolate chip butter cake that called not only for two whole sticks of butter but a slab of cream cheese besides. If you're going to have dessert, HAVE DESSERT.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...