Friday, December 7, 2012

Paul's Birthday (Observed) at Peter Luger Steakhouse

I suspected that Paul's birthday today would get somewhat lost in the shuffle. He wouldn't complain, but I also didn't want to give him a chance to.

So this year I gave him his present a full month early. On November 7, I told him we had reservations that weekend to Peter Luger Steakhouse.

Paul always wants to go to Peter Luger for special occasions, and I never do. The reason is simple: I don't like steak. But Paul likes it enough for both of us. And this year I got reservations during lunchtime, when Peter Luger offers a hamburger.

He, of course, ordered the giant single steak, medium rare, and a slice of the famous bacon, thickly cut. (Photos here, from the only other time we visited the steakhouse.) We split an order of creamed spinach-for-two. My well-done hamburger was obviously made with high-quality meat, although I slathered on the Peter Luger sauce for some flavor. I missed Paul's spice rubs.

Paul's beer and Bloody Mary were off-limits to the still-pregnant me, so we ended the meal with a tall hot fudge sundae, in which Paul kindly allowed me to scoop up the thick spoonfuls of fudge at the bottom. At the end of the meal, I waddled out the door, but not because of the baby.

Even though the meal was certainly for Paul, I couldn't help but think that it might be the last "nice" meal out we would have in a while. Besides this single trip to Williamsburg, I don't think we even left the neighborhood to go out to eat during the entire month of November and into December. Not the end of the world, of course, but it is a change in lifestyle nonetheless. I suspect we'll be getting take-out and delivery much more over the next couple of months!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...