Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Becoming a Mother Fast


Can Edith really be two weeks old already? Of course I had always heard that babies grow up so fast, but I never expected that I would feel that way so soon. She's already grown out of some of her newborn outfits -- luckily all gifts -- and she never even wore a couple out of the five-pack of onesies we received.

But despite what the tags on her clothes say, she is definitely still a newborn. And I'm definitely still adjusting to her ways. Deciphering whimpers. Changing diapers in the middle of the night. Feeding her at 4 in the morning when I'm half asleep myself.



I've learned to become a mother quickly. Of course, I had no choice. And luckily, the things I was worried about the most haven't been that bad.

She's not as fragile as I feared, and I haven't come close to dropping her as I carry her up and down the stairs in our apartment building. Breastfeeding is going smoothly -- she seems to be gaining the right amount of weight, and there's no problems latching. And even though I would prefer a straight, solid eight hours of sleep, right now I'm happy getting three in a row.


I still have to work on a few things -- changing diapers and giving baths too fast for her to cry, to name two -- but things are going well. Although I'm still learning, I feel more confident in my abilities. Even at the end of the worst day (and I know there will yet be worse), I know I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...