Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Longest Day of the Year Isn't Long Enough

Yesterday was the first day of summer and the longest day of the year.

But it still wasn't long enough for me.

Even though the sun doesn't set until well after the evening has begun here in Brooklyn, it still disappears before it does at home in Ohio. Besides our family and friends, the long days are probably what I still miss the most. I've gotten used to the Laundromat and I don't mind carrying my groceries anymore. Just give me the sun.

Late last week I got it into my head to do a formal comparison. According to timeanddate.com:
  • New York sunrise: 5:25 a.m.
  • New York sunset: 8:30 p.m.
  • Toledo, Ohio, sunrise: 6:00 a.m.
  • Toledo, Ohio, sunset: 9:12 p.m.
A full 42 extra minutes in northwest Ohio! Yes, I realize New York nearly makes up for that in extra sunlight in the morning, but when have I ever been awake at 5:25 a.m. to enjoy it?

Still, I don't want to complain too loudly. Winter -- and the shortest day of the year -- will be here despite my protestations before I know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...