Thursday, February 18, 2010

Two Hours in Line ... For Nothing


Last weekend I had yet another quintessential New York experience: Waiting in line.

I've really wanted to see Scarlett Johansson in the Broadway production of "A View from the Bridge." I'd planned to get discounted tickets for about $35, but they were sold out by the time I tried to order them. So my options were:

1) Not seeing the show.
2) $60 tickets.
3) Standing in line for 2 hours for a chance at $25 tickets.

Fool that I am, on Sunday I chose option #3.

The box office sells rush and standing-room-only tickets the day of the show, but you have to stand in line long before it opens to even have a shot. I got in line Sunday at 10 a.m. -- a full two hours before the box office opened -- and even still I was about the 30th person in line. In 35 degree weather.

The tickets sold out four people in front of me. My freezing feet like anvils, I unhappily dragged myself to meet Paul at a museum about a mile away (my Valentine's Day present to him was standing in line for the tickets by myself).

But the day wasn't a total bust. With our extra time not spent in a theater, we instead tried Pinkberry for the first time (not quite sure what all the fuss is about) and made my first spontaneous purchase in about 7 years-- Rock Band 2. Could've been a worse day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...