Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Reading Again: Back to Basics

For years and years I read eight books per month, no more and no less. Then the kids came along.

It was a sustainable plan for a while when Edith was an infant, but then she got more mobile and I began freelancing. Free time went out the window. Suddenly I could go weeks without finishing a book.

When a neighbor emailed a message to the residents of our block to gauge interest about starting a book club, I was skeptical. Not of the book club -- no reason that couldn't be a success. But I was skeptical that I would be able to keep up. And if I was only reading a book or so a month, did I really want that one to be chosen by someone else?

So my first instinct was to say no. But I spoke to a few of my neighbors who were joining, and I changed my mind. What the heck. The worst that could happen is that I would nibble on some cheese while my neighbors discussed a book I hadn't found time to read.

The book club's second meeting is coming up soon, and a surprising thing has happened. I'm not only finding the time to read the chosen books, but  I'm getting them done a week or more before I need to. And finding the time to read the books I "have" to made me realize that I really can find the time to read once again if I just change my habits. I'm reserving multiple books from the library at the same rate I used to a few years ago. It's refreshing.

I'm nowhere near reading eight books each month again. But all of a sudden two or three a month seems doable. I hope I can keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...