Friday, July 26, 2013

NYC Desserts: Victory Garden's Goat Milk Soft Serve Ice Cream


Believe it or not, this wasn't my first run-in with ice cream made from goat milk.

I first tried it as a newspaper reporter in Ohio. If memory serves, the article was about the goat milk ice cream being served right after a county fair goat show. I think I had mint chocolate chip.

But when I visited Victory Garden in New York City's Greenwich Village, it did mark the first time I had soft serve made of goat milk. And it was delicious.

Victory Garden, at 31 Carmine St., is a little hole-in-the-wall in the middle of some very busy streets near New York University. The storefront might be hard to spot, but it's worth the time to seek out. It very well may be the best soft serve ice cream I have ever had.


I'm not sure if that was because of the goat milk, the extreme heat or the flavor I chose. Victory Garden offered four flavors when I visited: tangy goat milk, salted caramel, chocolate victory and -- the one I opted for -- rose petal.


I ordered the mini for $3.99 and was pleasantly surprised that the serving was the size of a baseball. It was slightly icy but mostly smooth and delicious. The floral notes were excellent -- even my burps tasted like potpourri, and that's no complaint.

Victory Garden was the first of nine dessert stops I made during my last week in New York, and it was one of the best. I'm only sorry I didn't discover this gem earlier so I could have had more!

I didn't share with Edith, but that's OK.
She had already filled up on her toes
in the subway on the way there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...