Wednesday, July 31, 2013

NYC Desserts: Momofuku Milk Bar's Crack Pie


I refuse to make some desserts. That includes any that requires you to make another dessert, demolish it, and then use the bits and pieces as an ingredient in the dessert you're really trying to construct.

That's why I thought it best to sample Momofuku Milk Bar's Crack Pie before I left New York. And I got in just under the wire. I tried it on the very last full day we spent in the city.

The Momofuku empire is known for many things: Chef David Chang, its pork buns and the crack pie being among the top. We tried the latter two at the Milk Bar outpost on the Upper West Side near both Central Park and the American Museum of Natural History.


Crack Pie can never be bad. No dessert is bad when the first four ingredients are butter, sugar, brown sugar and cream. But I can't say it left me wanting for more. It's basically a thick, rich sugar pie, with a crust made from a giant crumbled oatmeal cookie.

The pork bun was the real star of the show. The pork was so sweet, I wish that would have been my real dessert.


So for those going to Momofuku Milk Bar, here's what to do. Get a pork bun (available at just some of the Milk Bar's several locations) for sure, and get a slice of Crack Pie if you must. But definitely take a look at some of the other desserts I didn't try. Offerings like cereal milk, compost cookies and cake truffles are surely worth a taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...