Friday, July 20, 2012

Pie at Four & Twenty Blackbirds


I didn't get a birthday cake on Sunday -- it was way too hot to bake, and besides, I was in the mood for pie. Specifically, pie from Four & Twenty Blackbirds, a pie shop in an up-and-coming-but-not-quite-there neighborhood about 3 1/2 miles from us.

The inside was small but cute, a cross between a coffee shop and a flea market cafe. Wooden tables -- one large and several small -- filled up the space, and at least one person was working on a laptop. Still, the place was full. Luckily, a couple of seats opened up just as we were placing our order.

Paul went with the classic blueberry crumble; no complaints there. I opted for the black bottom oat pie as soon as I heard it was lined with chocolate ganache. The inside was gooey and sweet (almost like pecan pie filling without the nuts), and the oat top was nice and crunchy.

Although $4.75 might seem steep for a slice of pie, it's the going rate (if not a bit cheaper) for good desserts in this town. And the slices were huge. By the time I was finished I almost wished we had split a piece of pie. But really I was happy to eat the whole thing by myself. Happy birthday to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...