Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My Home for the Holidays


It's a blessing and a curse to be in New York City during the holidays.

On the one hand, the city is sparkling with lights and holiday markets. On the other hand, I'm 500 miles away from my family and most of my friends, and I don't have room for a Christmas tree.

For the third December in a row, I've stuffed the curio in the corner of the living room with all of our Christmas ornaments, and decorated the top with gold garland and a red ribbon. Before Paul carted them off to Ohio on Saturday, I nicely arranged the wrapped presents at the bottom just as if the cabinet were a fresh spruce.

Christmas ornaments in wine glasses and antique cups

The travel ornament shelf-- from red gate (Japan) to blue coaster (Milwaukee)


To go home for the holidays now, I have to take vacation days. This is something I never, ever had to do in Ohio. It was convenient if I took off a day or two around Christmas (especially if it was in the middle of the week and we planned to go to Defiance), but it wasn't absolutely necessary. I even worked one Thanksgiving morning and spent the rest of the day with Paul's family. No big deal.

Now -- especially this year, since I'm flying -- I'm much more weather dependent. I'm flying to Columbus on Christmas Eve and praying that this year's ration of flight delays was met with the hordes of stranded passengers during Saturday's snowstorm. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. I have that same OSU ornament that's pictured in your first photo.

    I now live just far enough away from my family (about 200 miles or so) to make traveling home for the holidays a pain in the ass. At least Christmas was on a Friday this year. That makes it a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I recognize Paul's horse ornament. I have one just like it except it is an angel and of course it has my name instead of Paul's. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...