Saturday, February 9, 2008

View of the bridge

Paul and I walked by the shore of the bay last Sunday-- something we hadn't done since his mom and sister visited us in November. The weather was mild, and the walking/running path was more crowded than I would have expected. I wonder what it will be like when it's actually nice.

The bay is about a 15 minute walk directly east of us. Walk north and you'll get to a pier where you can see Lower Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty. Walk south, as we did, and you can walk underneath the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. Either way you'll see plenty of cargo ships and boats-- this time we saw a cruise ship.

The path also has plenty of benches. I see it as a lovely spot to read this spring; Paul wants to train for the marathon there.

As you can see from the photo, we got to the bridge just as the sun was setting. Last night I saw it from a different angle, at night.

Paul's friend Tom is here for the weekend, and we met up with one of his friends who lives in Queens. We ate at a nice Spanish restaurant in Chelsea, and then he drove us home at midnight.. It was the first time I'd been over the Brooklyn Bridge in a car. If I hadn't been smooshed in the the middle of the backseat, I'm sure I would've enjoyed the lovely views even more! As it was, I could still see the lights from the Verrazano twinkling in the bay. It really was a beautiful sight.

1 comment:

  1. Wow.

    When I read posts like this, all I can think is:

    "Thank God we got out of Springfield."

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...