Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Another Year Older

We drive by Ohio State University's campus regularly, but once or twice a year we make it a destination. Last Saturday evening was one of those times.

We walked along High Street, gazing at the new dorms and wondering at both the new stores and empty storefronts.

We ate at a restaurant that wasn't there when we were in college, at the end of the street where I used to live. Looking around, I realized that the kids were about 15 years younger than everyone else there, and that Paul and I were a good 15 years older than the other patrons -- and employees.

When did college kids get so young?

The question was even more stark in my mind since I turn 35 on Friday. I graduated from college 13 years ago this summer, met Paul 15 years ago. I graduated from high school 17 years ago, got my driver's license 19 years ago. People who were BORN on the day those things happened are teenagers now, adults even.

I can't even say that I'm going through a quarter-life crisis. At this point it would be a midlife crisis, wouldn't it? Either way, getting older is no crisis for me (yet), but saying dates like these out loud does have a way of grounding you in reality, as do two kids and a mortgage.

But the last year has been kind to me, and I'm excited about what the next year will bring, too. Let's see whatcha got.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...