Monday, July 28, 2014

A Day at the Ohio State Fair


One of my good friends and her sister visited Columbus from out-of-town for a couple of days last week, and one of the things at the top of her to-do list was a visit to the Ohio State Fair. I was happy to oblige.

In school I would sometimes make multiple trips to the state fair every year for various 4-H competitions. (I obviously had very supportive parents -- who else would OK so many 300-mile-round-trip drives?) I got to know the Ohio State Fair quite well, but after graduating from high school I visited only once or twice. If I had to guess, the last time I was there was about a decade ago.

A few things had changed. Like FRIED BUCKEYES. As in, they now have them. These peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate are Ohio mainstays, but I'd never had them fried. Really, it just tasted like a warm, melty Buckeye (what did I expect?). Good, but I prefer the hot donutty consistency of fried Oreos. I had them later.



We walked the midway and through a flea market and the chicken and rabbit barn. We went to a petting zoo.






Of course we made the obligatory stop to see the Butter Cow -- yes, a cow sculpted from real butter. Had to get a strawberry milkshake there, too. That really brought me back.



Merchants building, youth building -- ah, how well I knew them! Of course, it all was interspersed with more photos, more food and whatever struck our eye. All in all, we spent about five hours there. It was Edith's first fair, and a great reintroduction for me.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...