Monday, October 7, 2013

What I Miss About New York and Love About Ohio

Six years ago tomorrow we moved to New York. We've been back in Ohio for about 2 1/2 months, but there are still things I miss. But for (almost) everything I miss about New York, there's something I equally love about Ohio.

I miss looking down from our apartment's third floor perch onto the streets below ...
  • ... but I love looking down from our second floor windows into our pleasant little backyard, with its bench and swing.
I miss our cozy little Brooklyn apartment, where everything was only a few steps away ...
  • ... but I love stretching out in our large kitchen, large dining room, large EVERYTHING.
I miss the number of restaurants within walking distance of our apartment ...
  • ... but I love the few restaurants that we can actually walk to in Clintonville -- they're some of my favorite in all of Columbus.
I miss not having to rely on a car to get anywhere any distance away ...
  • ... but I love having a garage and driveway so Paul doesn't have to spend 20 minutes looking for a parking spot.
I miss barely ever having to use the car seat ...
  • ... but I love not lugging the stroller up and down three flights of winding stairs.
I miss hearing the ships blasting their horns in the bay in the morning ...
  • ... but I love the whistles of the trains that are just far enough away not to be annoying.
I miss Central Park and how it was impossible to explore it all ...
  • ... but I love that the trail and Park of Roses is a short stroll away.
I miss exploring Brooklyn with Edith ...
  •  ... but I love exploring Clintonville's antique and vintage stores on a weekday afternoon with her.
I miss the noise ...
  • ... but I love the quiet.
New York and Columbus aren't opposites, but you can be forgiven for thinking that the manners in which we've lived in each city are. Like parents say about their children, I love each in their own unique way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...