Monday, June 18, 2012

Watching "Prometheus" in 3-D

Good deals are still to be found in New York City, and I snagged one a few months ago on Groupon -- two movie tickets and two small popcorns for $12 at the Bay Ridge theater about 10 blocks away. It's not the same as the $2 tickets we used to get in Bryan, Ohio, but I'm not complaining.

I bought four tickets, intending to use two of them to see "The Hunger Games." But then my 10 weeks of morning sickness began, and the tickets sat unused, with an expiration date of June 30.

Time to see some movies.

So Saturday night Paul and I saw "Prometheus." I wasn't so sure -- I like sci-fi shows like "Fringe" and "Battlestar Galactica," but I hate scary movies. I decided to take a chance, especially since it was showing in 3-D. I'd never seen a 3-D movie outside of Disney World.

I liked it OK. It wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but it was interesting. And it wasn't too scary, although I did hide my eyes at a few parts. Spoiler: I'm not a fan of watching giant alien-snakes being extracted from someone's abdomen.

The 3-D was anticlimactic. I didn't feel like it added anything to the show, and the glasses were a tad bit uncomfortable over my own specs. I'd be interested to know if there's been any movie in which the 3-D really did add to the movie-going experience. I suppose it'll be so common in a few years that I'll think it was funny that I was ever excited to see a whole 3-D feature film in the first place.

The best part of the movie? Being home again after a short, pleasant 10-minute walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...