Friday, August 26, 2011

Madison Square Park's Clock Tower


The Flatiron Building, the Shake Shack, the park itself ... there's a lot competing for your attention at Madison Square Park.

One sight that takes you by surprise, however, is the clock tower on the former Met Life Building on Madison Avenue.

I took the picture above earlier this summer, about a block west of the park. Once you actually enter Madison Square Park, however, the clock tower is often hidden from view by the tall trees.

When we celebrated my birthday at the Shake Shack in July, we sat underneath one of those trees as daylight turned to dusk turned to moonlight. Each time I looked up, the clock was there, ticking away the minutes of my 30th birthday.

Don't get me wrong -- the sight of the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building still sets my heart aflutter, but it's these smaller gems -- if anything 700 feet tall can be called small -- that I've come to appreciate more and more.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...