Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Hot Dogs + Juice = Gray's Papaya (or Papaya King)


Gray's Papaya. It and competitor Papaya King are as ubiquitous in Manhattan as rats, roaches and Duane Reade.

Both are known for their juices (much more to choose from than papaya!) and hot dogs. I ate at one a year or two ago, but I can't remember which. They pretty much look the same to me, but this discussion on Chowhound tells me that not everyone agrees.


The drinks are pretty tasty. Paul and I made an impulse purchase of coconut juice at a Gray's Papaya a few weeks ago. It even had pulp in it.

As you can see from the photo above, Gray's Papaya is known for its "Recession Special" -- two hot dogs and a drink for $4.45. These ain't no gourmet dogs, but it is a meal under $5. Both are equally hard to find in New York.

Oh, and there's no such thing as lingering. Gray's Papaya has atmosphere -- but no seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...