Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Easiest $400 I Ever Made

The 4 o'clock hour is one I don't often see. It's too late to stay up, too early to awake.

Unfortunately, I had little choice on Tuesday morning.

OK, I could have flown from Columbus to New York anytime on Monday, but I wanted to maximize the family-and-friend time on my all-too-rare visit to Ohio. So I was up at 4:10 a.m. to make a 6 a.m. flight, with a plan to go straight from LaGuardia to work.

The plan was slightly derailed, however, when my flight was overbooked and Delta asked two or three passengers to take the next flight at 9:40 a.m.

With a $400 voucher.

Sign me up.

The wait was long, but I miraculously found a bench near my gate without armrests. I scrunched up in the fetal position and covered my eyes and torso with Paul's suit jacket, which I was transporting back to Brooklyn. I was obviously exhausted, so it was a nice surprise when I finally boarded the plane and learned I'd been bumped up to first class.

Of course, that doesn't mean much on a plane with fewer than a hundred passengers. But I did get a candy bar with my normal complimentary cookies, and my orange juice came in a real glass. I also got a blanket and pillow, a wide and comfy seat, and enough room to stretch my legs out straight. I was almost sad when the hour flight ended.

Alas, my window seat was revoked, but I'll gladly give up a view for $400. Even if I do feel like a zombie the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...