Thursday, August 6, 2009

J.C. Penney Takes Manhattan

Even a red carpet for J.C. Penney and (possibly) Miss Universe

J.C. Penney.

In Ohio, it's just a run-of-the-mill department store you find in almost every mall.

In Manhattan? It's a big deal.

That's the conclusion I came to Saturday when I visited Penney's first Manhattan store, which opened on July 31. I'm not a huge fan of the store, but I got a $10 coupon on a $10 or more purchase, and who am I to pass up a deal like that?

So I made my way to the Manhattan Mall (yes, Manhattan has one honest-to-goodness mall), just a stone's throw from Macy's in Herald Square. I don't know about you, but I've never had to wait in line to enter a Penney's. Yes, I waited in a 5- to 10-minute line just for the privilege of boarding the escalator that took me to the store.

Granted, I think most of the people just wanted to catch a glimpse of whatever model was outside the store entrance (Miss Universe, I believe), because the store itself was crowded but not overwhelmingly so. Even still, I couldn't help but mentally wag a finger at myself for waiting in line for a Penney's when New York is saturated with so many more interesting stores.

The store was about like every other Penney's you've ever visited, except with lower ceilings and better dressing rooms. There was actually a comfy chair and three-way mirror in every dressing room, making me long for such a space at home.

In any case, I walked out with some pj's, fulfilling my stated goal of using the discount. I'm not sure I'll visit again -- surely not when it's so crowded -- but it is kinda nice to know there's a down-homey store at my disposal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...