Sunday, August 16, 2009

A 1,453-Foot Reminder That I Live in New York

Empire State Building

It was a warm and sunny day -- seemingly the first in weeks -- so a couple of weekends ago I skipped the subway and decided to walk from the Gramercy thrift shops I'd been scouring on 23rd Street to the new J.C. Penney on 33rd.

After 10+ blocks, I was hot and eager for air conditioning, but the site of the Empire State Building towering above made me stop in my tracks and reach for my camera. I've walked within a block or two of the Empire State Building dozens of times, but this time it hit me:

I live here.

It still amazes me that I can walk to a place as mundane as Penney's and strut right by one of the tallest buildings in the world. Or exit the subway at work and see the New York Stock Exchange. Or down a milkshake in the shadow of the Flatiron Building.

Nearly two years in New York, and I still feel lucky every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...