Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Christmas (and crowds) at Rockefeller Center


We saw the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center on Saturday for the first (and probably last) time.

The crowds were horrific, not only at the tree but for about the three blocks surrounding it. Police officers blocked about every other crosswalk because people were stopping traffic, so everyone on the sidewalks were at a standstill until the walk light came on. Even then we could barely move.
The crowd was so thick at the tree that we couldn't even get close enough to see the ice skaters below. I suspect that if we would have gone up to the second floor of the neighboring NBC store we could have seen the rink. By that time I was too tired out to even try.

To top it all off, I just didn't think the tree was that impressive. Both Paul and I thought it would be larger. I mean, it's neat, but it's just a tree with lights. I'm glad we saw it once, but it'll probably be awhile before I see it again.

Paul's birthday was Friday. Per tradition, the birthday boy got to choose his favorite restaurant for supper, so we went to the Heartland Brewery, of course. But before that, I presented him with a present-- an ounce of Sam Adams' Utopia beer at a bar in Brooklyn. For Paul, this was a lot more exciting than it sounds. He actually insisted I take a photo of him with it. An ounce of that costs about as much as four pints of normal beers, so he fully appreciated it!

1 comment:

  1. As much as four pints?? There's crack in it then, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...