Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Christmas Blues

The closer it gets to Christmas, the worse my mood gets.

I'm trying to put a good face on it all, but the closer it gets to the holiday the harder it is. We're basically keeping all of the annoying parts of the holiday while scrapping everything that makes it fun.

Presents have always been my least favorite part of Christmas, both giving and receiving. It's certainly the most stressful. I don't particularly like to shop, and I don't know what anyone wants aside from my own kids. I'd be perfectly happy if no gifts were exchanged and perfectly content to celebrate Christmas with just family and food.

Except there's none of that this year either. We met my parents in a parking lot halfway between our houses this past weekend to put wrapped presents in each others trunks. We talked outside for a bit before it got too cold and we all drove home. We'll open up presents via FaceTime. I think we're going to open presents with Paul's family outside some evening this week -- not exactly warm and cozy. Sad, actually.

As for food -- with no traditions to hang us up, we ordered a large meal of lasagna, meatballs, soup, green beans, rolls and an apple pie from a local restaurant. Actually, the order keeps up with our 2020 tradition of scrapping all holiday meal traditions since we had chicken tikka masala for both Easter and Thanksgiving.

It'll all be OK of course. We'll open presents, play with gifts, watch a movie. And look toward next year when hopefully everything will be back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...