Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Dying Easter Eggs for the First-ish Time


Last week was the second time that Edith had dyed Easter eggs, but the first time I had as an adult. Last Easter was out of the ordinary -- Atticus had been born three days before, and we didn't color eggs before his arrival. When my in-laws arrived on that Sunday with a full holiday meal, they also brought supplies to color eggs with Edith outside. I was told she had fun, although I stayed inside with our newborn.

I almost skipped it again this year, although I'm glad now that I didn't. I did, however, skip the egg-dying kits and opted for this recipe: 1/2 cup of boiling water, 1 teaspoon of vinegar and 10-20 drops of food coloring. The eggs were vibrant enough for my tastes.

Edith first colored the eggs with crayons, but of course the dye was the star of the show. She mostly just liked spooning the colored water over the eggs. Only a toddler could stretch out coloring a dozen eggs into an activity that probably lasted a couple of hours!



She had so much fun, I'm wondering if we shouldn't color eggs a few times a year just for the heck of it. Always during the week before we plan to eat egg salad, of course.

(PS: Easter is over, but I have to mention a quick quirk of Atticus's birth. How many kids can say they celebrated Easter twice before their first birthday?)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...