Friday, November 9, 2012

Finally: Renting a Rowboat in Central Park


Third time's a charm: Paul and I finally were able to rent a rowboat from the Loeb Boathouse in Central Park.

You'd think it would be easy. Show up, get in line, hand over $12 for an hour in a rowboat. But nooooo. The boathouse has no specific closing time. The website says the boathouse is open until dusk, which is a moving target. The first two times we tried to get a boat, we thought we were there before dusk. The employees thought otherwise.

Last month, however, we finally got our boat. Paul took the oars, I took the photos (except when I absolutely forced him to take a picture of me). It was just as lovely as I anticipated, though a bit more stressful than I thought it would be. The views were beautiful, but there were so many rowboats on the lake! Since Paul -- and all rowers -- must sit backward compared to where they are rowing, I had to be a careful navigator.






But by the time we returned the boat to the dock, the lake had cleared out. The sun was setting; it was evidently dusk. Finally, we rented a Central Park rowboat right on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...