Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Between Work and Baby

I've been off work now for a little more than a week, and it still feels strange to watch Paul leave in the morning while I'm still in my pajamas.

My last day in the office was extended by a few days because of Hurricane Sandy. The hurricane knocked out power throughout Lower Manhattan, and my office was without electricity -- and therefore closed -- the entire five days of what was supposed to be my final week.

Power was restored the Saturday following the storm, and I went in on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. I was glad I did. It gave me time to finish cleaning out my desk, drawers and emails and pass on a few more tidbits to my successor. And on my last day, my coworkers gave me a baby shower -- a lovely way to end my five years on the job.

Now that I'm home every day, one thing hasn't changed: starting each morning creating or adding to a large to-do list. Each day I tell Edith to hold on just a little longer. Mom has too much to do!

In all honesty, the must-do list is shrinking, if it hasn't vanished entirely. Edith, whenever she arrives, will come home from the hospital in a car seat that's already installed, and she has clean clothes and a clean bed to sleep in. She won't go hungry. What more could a newborn want?

But in the meantime I want to make sure each room is spotless, the laundry is done and that I have enough stamps for the birth announcements. You know, all of that stuff that could be done later. Except I want it done now.

Don't worry: I'm not overdoing it. Paul's certainly doing more than his share by tending to my neurosis. And while he's at work I make sure to take frequent breaks to read and maybe watch one of the episodes of "Upstairs, Downstairs" I taped specifically for the time between work and baby. But in the meantime, I have some clothes to separate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...