Monday, April 11, 2011

Ground Zero: A New Building at Last

The Ground Zero building is the one with the crane on top.

Zigzagging around the tourist-photographers has become a daily part of my morning routine as I exit the subway at Courtland Street, across the street from Ground Zero and a few blocks from work.

I barely pay them any mind nowadays, other than perhaps snickering to myself. I get it -- visiting Ground Zero is a pilgrimage, but you don't have to go to the World Trade Center site to get a photo of a giant crane.

Until, all of a sudden, Ground Zero was more than just a crane.

I looked over my shoulder one morning and was shocked to see anything that even resembled a building -- more than a dozen floors now. I wasn't the only one surprised. At least one other coworker mentioned the same thing.

It's been 10 years since 9/11. The time has flown, yet it's a long time to wait for something to rise from the ashes.

The empty site (looking from the opposite end) in June 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...