Friday, February 18, 2011

Presidents: By the Book and By the Day Off Work

Monday is Presidents' Day, and I have the day off of work. That means I'm taking the day off of blogging, too. It's nice being the boss sometimes.

But I couldn't let the weekend pass without a least a small update on the goal Paul and I set to read a biography on each president.

We've reached the halfway point -- we're now on Grover Cleveland, president #22 (and 24) of 44.We've certainly slowed down on the number of biographies we've been reading, and I suspect that's because they've been so boring recently. Hayes, Garfield, Arthur: blah, blah, blah. I'm looking forward to getting into the 20th century presidents; we're only about a decade away.

Paul recently completed his second year blogging about our project at Presidents by the Book. We've also taken a couple of related detours.

The first: reading "When London was Capital of America." This book by Julie Flavell gave me an interesting perspective on America's early days and particularly its relationship with London just before the Revolutionary War.

The second: reading "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter," by Seth Grahame-Smith. Not exactly a biography, I admit, but it's been the most fun presidential book by far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...