Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Brooklyn Botanic Garden in the Spring

Lilics: The flowers I miss most from home

No one would confuse me for an outdoorsy girl. Despite growing up with a pond, a handful of green acres and an old barn ripe for exploring, you were much more likely to find me indoors, curled up with a book.

In this respect, I haven't much changed. But ever since moving to a place where green and space, let alone greenspace, are few and far between, I appreciate them just a tad bit more. I'm absolutely positive I enjoyed a recent visit to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden much more than I would have 10 years ago.

The botanic garden was one of our first stops when we moved here in autumn 2007, but this visit was much different. This time my parents were along, in town for a weekend visit. And this time, the garden was filled with hundreds, if not thousands, of visitors eager to catch a glimpse of the tulips and fast-fading cherry blossoms. On that prior visit, we saw maybe a dozen or so others.

Cherry blossoms

The crowds didn't make the blooms crouch lower or the lilacs smell worse, but it did cut on the tranquility. But who am I to tell others to stay at home on a beautiful spring day so I can keep the pleasantries of nature all to myself? Gasp -- could I really be becoming the type of girl who loves the outdoors? I wouldn't go that far, although nowadays it's much more likely that you'll find me curled up with a book ... on a blanket outdoors.

Turtles on a log

Tulips: I'd much rather see them than grow them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...