Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Rare Sound of Silence

I briefly awoke at 5:13 this morning to the sound of ... nothing.

It was so quiet, I probably could have heard myself breathe if I had been conscious enough to notice.

I've often written that I've gotten use to the chaos outside of our corner apartment, but it still amazes me that at times it can be as silent as my bedroom in Defiance. Not often, but sometimes.

Last night was by far better than a night last month in which a car alarm went off about every 10 minutes. I'm not exaggerating. All night. I finally fell asleep, but it was a restless one. When I awoke to the beeps in the middle of the night, I started counting them-- about 30 blasts at a time.

When I walked to the subway the next morning, it was still going strong. Luckily, that doesn't happen too often either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...