Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Tell Me a New Word

 One of my favorite things nowadays is when Atticus comes up to me and makes a simple request.

"Mommy, tell me a word I've never heard before," he says.

Well, maybe it's not so simple. When you're put on the spot, it's actually not so easy to think of a word that a 5 year old has never before heard and yet is easy to explain and can be used in regular conversation. I can't recall all the new words I've introduced him to since he started making the request -- maybe a half dozen times in the last couple of months -- but one of my successful words was "gargantuan." I think I need to start making a list when I come across a likely word.

It's fun to see them curious about new words. Reading a chapter book together at bedtime last night, he asked me the definition of "accelerate." Yesterday afternoon one of the neighbors used the word "overreact," which prompted a great discussion at home with Edith and is actually a word I could use quite frequently in our household!

If you think of some good new words for a 7 year old and 5 year old, please share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...