Tuesday, April 28, 2020

COVID-19 Outbreak in Ohio: Weeks 6 & 7

Tuesday, April 14
Our summer vacation was officially canceled today. Last summer we booked a week-long Alaskan cruise, bookended by a few days in Portland and Seattle. I've known for the last few weeks that it would probably be off, but I'm still bummed. Luckily we should be able to get refunds on the cruise deposit and hotels we had booked, and at least credits for the flights we purchased. Hoping we will be able to rebook for next summer.

Wednesday, April 15
The kids helped me do yard work for an hour this afternoon, although I remembered why I hate to do it when I was pricked on two separate fingers by rose thorns. I really don't care for gardening, but it feels good to do something productive.

Friday, April 17
With vacation canceled along with everything else that I ever look forward to in the spring and summer, I realized that the most exciting thing in the foreseeable future is the sweet potato fries I'm planning to order for take-out on Saturday.

Saturday, April 18
Paul's at the office again today. He has had two days off since March 30, and he often works at home for an hour or two (or longer) after the kids go to bed.

The annual art show at Edith's school was canceled, so each student was asked to create something at home to be featured in an online gallery. Edith drew birds that she found in Paul's "Birds of Ohio" book and made them into a quilt. She's 7 and has already surpassed me as an artist.



Sunday, April 19
Went to the grocery store this morning for the first time in 23 days. I was nervous about going on the weekend, afraid it would be crowded. But it was less crowded than when I went on a Friday morning 3+ weeks ago. I got there just before it opened at 9 a.m., and it was even less crowded when I left an hour later. I got enough food for at least three weeks, hopefully longer. I've never purchased so many frozen vegetables and fresh fruit -- plus THREE loaves of bread. We go through a lot when three of us are here every weekday for lunchtime peanut butter sandwiches.

Monday, April 20
Governor DeWine announced today that school would be online-only for the rest of the school year. Not a surprise, but I still got a pit in the bottom of my stomach when I heard him say it. The kids were disappointed but not devastated. We'll be fine.

Saturday, April 25
A beautiful day that I would have considered the first "real" day of spring in ordinary times. It was supposed to be Duckling Day at the local library, I think the first day of the farmers market down the street and we were to host our annual crap swap. Instead, we spent the afternoon doing yard work. I cut down a lot of vines, and Paul fixed the fence in the backyard, so that's something.

One perk of all this for the kids is that they are able to bike and scooter on the street a lot more than they ever have been able to before. The parents of the street watch from our respective yards and yell "CAR!" whenever a vehicle appears. With the stay-at -home order in place, there really aren't that many.

Monday, April 27
The governor announced the first steps of a gradual reopening in the state -- nothing that impacts us yet. Paul's work continues, and he worked a few hours on both Saturday and Sunday again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...