Tuesday, March 31, 2020

COVID-19 Outbreak in Ohio: Week 3

Tuesday, March 24: We've all been reading a lot.

Wednesday, March 25
Play dates in this new era -- my next door neighbor called and said she and her two kids would be in their backyard. Would we like to go to our backyard and let the kids talk? They spoke along the length of the driveway that separated us, far greater than the prescribed six feet. It was nice to catch up.

Thursday, March 26

Friday, March 27
I've never been so stressed from getting groceries. I spent a good deal of time making my list on Thursday, hoping to get enough for three full weeks. (That includes Easter, so I made sure to fill in the blanks for Easter baskets and a somewhat special meal.) I've never had such a full cart -- overflowing, plus a few odds and ends on the shelf below the basket. I wanted to shout out that I was NOT hoarding! For the most part shoppers gave each other a wide berth, taking turns to grab their milk or turn down an aisle. A few didn't maintain good distances, which made me anxious. Luckily the Aldi shelves were well stocked, with the exception of absolutely no toilet paper or paper towels, and some of the freezer stock was bare.

An empty fridge (and freezer, below) the night before.


A full cart of groceries. I bagged them at the trunk of my car.

My block had plans to have everyone eat on their own porches at the same time for supper, but the rainy, dreary weather kept a lot of people inside. Nevertheless we were out, along with a few neighbors. We could wave but not say too much -- the rain drowned out words. It was a nice reminder that we're all in this together.

Saturday, March 28
A beautiful day that got into the 70s. Usually the neighbors would all be outside mingling, taking advantage of one of the first lovely days of the season. The kids would all be running from one yard to the next. Instead we're stuck talking from afar. We did get some yard work done though.

After the kids went to bed, Paul and I watched one of my favorite movies -- "The Painted Veil." Had second thoughts when I remembered it was about a cholera epidemic. Watched it anyway.

Sunday, March 29
Another day spent largely outside. Talked to the neighbors, each of us keeping our distance. The kids blew bubbles and were on their scooters all day long.

I'm determined to reread all of my Jane Austen books during this time of isolation, in the order in which she wrote them. Finished "Northanger Abbey" tonight. In movies, Paul and I seemed to do a study in opposites. "The Painted Veil" last night, "Smokey and the Bandit" tonight!

Monday, March 30
This was the first day that Edith started to really have questions. Would we have to stay away from people all spring? What about the summer? Would she go back to school? Would she have school in the summer? What about Field Day? And she misses her teacher. I think it's starting to get real for the kids now too. I wish I had better answers, but I did the best I could. And wouldn't you know it, the governor announced today that schools are now closed through at least May 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...