Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Neighborhood Chili Cook-off

Have I mentioned how much I love our street? If I haven't mentioned it here, I think about it every week -- if not every day. The kids play outside with neighborhood friends nearly every good-weather day, and simply sitting on the front porch is sure to prompt a conversation or two among adults as well.

What's more, we frequently all make plans to hang out together. There's the block party, of course. A couple of happy hours. A progressive dinner was inaugurated earlier this year. And this past Saturday was our first chili cook-off.

A grand total of 11 pots of chili made by different households were consumed by some 60 or so neighbors. Plus cornbread and desserts. Plus Ohio State ended up playing a night game, so we projected the match-up versus Nebraska as well. While 80-degree weather may not be ideal for consuming a steaming bowl of hot chili, at least it didn't rain! And boy, were they all good.

Maybe we'll do it again next year, although I did hear at least one neighbor suggest having a different theme each fall. Mexican food, perhaps? Pasta? Either way, I'm sure my neighbors will come up with good food and be good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...