Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Our Block's First Progressive Dinner

I'm never shy to say that my street is the best. We have an awesome annual block party and a terrific monthly book club. I'm good friends with neighbors whom I would still love to hang out with even if our houses weren't in such close proximity.

To add to the neighborly fun, this past weekend I added what I hope will become an annual tradition -- a progressive dinner. This is when a group of friends moves from house to house for different courses. In our case, the first house hosted a happy hour with appetizers, the second house had entrees, and the third house offered an assortment of desserts.

Several households contributed food (Paul made an excellent seafood paella), others made strong mixed drinks and still others donated money to the cause. I'd been to one progressive dinner more than a decade ago, and I had a blast even as we drove from house to house. This one was even better since each house was only feet from the next.

In the summer, our neighborhood basically lives on front porches and front lawns, but the winter is long around here. It was great to come out of hibernation to talk to neighbors that we haven't seen since practically last fall.

Good food, even better conversation and calls for us to do it all again next year -- a wonderful evening all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...