Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Politics as Unusual


I went to a Democratic rally in my neighborhood on Sunday. The primary reason was because several members of the West Wing cast were going to be speaking, and how could I resist? It was my favorite TV show back in the day -- and still among the top of my all-time favorite shows -- so of course I had to see Josh, CJ, Toby and several others. IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD. And just in someone's backyard! I mean I HAD to! But I digress.

Bradley Whitford!

Allison Janney!

In a Clintonville backyard!

And Edith too!

My rally visit had an ulterior motive. I wanted to get a Hillary Clinton yard sign. If we are friends on Facebook, you probably know that my husband supports Gary Johnson and posted his own sign in our yard a few weeks ago. I'm OK with Johnson and support several of his ideals, but I'll be voting for Clinton. I was (and still am) totally fine with the Johnson sign in front of our house, but I began feeling uncomfortable that others would presume I was a Johnson supporter as well.

Honestly, if that Johnson sign wasn't there, I probably wouldn't have posted a Clinton one either. In fact, I think Paul supports Johnson more than I support Clinton. But the suffragette in me wants to make it clear that politics isn't exclusively the husband's domain. I don't want to be the quiet dormouse that sits by silently while others assume they know what's important to me.

Paul is understandably disappointed that his sign loses some of its potency with mine next to it. But I guess that's the point. Hooray democracy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...