Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Listening to Language Develop

Our household is never quiet nowadays. Atticus is learning to talk, while Edith is perfecting it.

Atticus has only a few words -- among them: mama, dad, fan and this. The latter is pronounced "dis" and accompanied by an emphatic point. He's also a pretty good mimic. One of the kids' favorite games currently is to harmonize "ahh" as loud as they can, particularly when we are in the grocery store.

Edith's vocabulary and pronunciation is getting better and better each day. It's fascinating to watch her process language. Just this past weekend she brought an instrument down from her room, banging it all the way. She asked me what it was called. After I told her it was a tambourine, I heard her use it a couple of times in the next few minutes, surely trying to imprint the new word in her brain.

I also love the way she's connecting dots and having fun with the language. Watching her reflection in the mirror yesterday, she noticed her hair flying up as she jumped down from a step stool. Her hair was like an octopus, she told me.

The one word of her that baffles me is this: "dinter." She started using it not long after she began talking, as a cross between "other" and "different." Now it's firmly "different." No matter how often I use the correct word, she can't seem to shake it. But she's still young enough that I find it cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...