Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Return to New York, Take Two

Sept. 26, 2015, at the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge
When we arrived in Brooklyn on Sept. 25 for a week-long visit, I was just as thrilled as I thought I would be. When we left on Oct. 3, I was sad, as I've been each time we have left the borough since we decided to move away. But the final few days particularly showed me how hard it is to have kids -- plural -- in New York.

We lived there until Edith was 8 months old, so I know (and can do) baby -- singular -- in the city. And maybe two kids wouldn't seem so bad if I lived there and had all of the kid gear that makes life so much easier on a daily basis. And certainly if we lived there we wouldn't be taking the subway each day.

Still, rain, cold, fourth-floor walk-ups, small living spaces, no washer and dryer and few parking spots -- none of these are ideal without kids and so, so difficult with. I love New York, but this year I left with a new appreciation for Ohio.

Over the next month or so I'll periodically highlight the ups and downs of our trip -- delicious food (Nutella lasagna!), museums we had never been to and an ill-fated trip to the Hamptons (spoiler: Edith vomited for the first time ever). Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...