Tuesday, April 21, 2015

5 Things I've Learned as a New Mom of Two

 
I've been a mother of two lovely children for almost three weeks, but I've already learned a thing or two ... or five.

1. Twice the Kids = AT LEAST Twice the Time to Prepare to Go Out.

It's true that I already had trouble getting out the door on time when it was just Edith. After my first outing alone with two kiddos to library story time last week, I quickly realized I need to budget even more time. Double the coats, car seats, diapers, etc. and you seemingly quadruple the amount of time it takes to get somewhere.

2. Boy and Girl Diapers Are Equally Difficult to Change.

I'm not sure if I had changed even a handful of diapers before Edith came along, but I soon learned the mechanics of changing her diaper. But I had heard the horror stories of boy diapers -- namely, the spraying. And sure enough, the first time I changed Atticus's diaper, the pee arced to the floor. And again the third time. But no more cleaning the floor since then, and I've changed dozens of his diapers now. At least boys make no secret when they're peeing all over everything.

3. It All Comes Back.

The smell of newborn poop. How to hold an infant with no head control. The sound of upset cries and fussiness. It's been more than two years, but now it seems like it never ended.

4. You Never Get Used to No Sleep.

Wake-up calls at 2 a.m. (and 5 a.m., and 7 a.m.!) are no fun. Occasionally they are sweet, but not over and over again, night after night. I constantly need a nap.

5. Everything Is Upended. Until It Isn't.

A new baby disrupts everything. That's not necessarily bad, but it is chaotic. Edith and I had two years to form and follow a routine that worked for us, and now it's been upended. But I know that everything will fall into place once again, and sooner than I could ever realize.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...